Rasmalai is one of our favourite sweets. You may be wondering why it looks different than one made with milk. I make it with regular Ricotta cheese. You can use fat free Ricotta or low fat Ricotta too for this. I came to know of this recipe from our old yahoo group Konkani recipes. I have modified it to suit our taste. I have been making it for the past 13 years. It is simple and quick method.
Ingredients for Malai
16 oz regular ricotta cheese
½ cup sugar
1/8-teaspoon baking powder
1-teaspoon cardamom powder
- Pre heat oven to 400 degree F
- Mix all the above ingredients in a bowl
- Apply butter to a shallow baking dish, pour the mixture and spread it evenly.
- Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake it for 20-40 min (for regular or low fat 20 min, if it is fat free then baking time will be slightly longer)
- While cooling open the aluminum foil in one corner. When cooled cut into pieces of the size 1 ½ inch by 1 ½ inch
Ingredients for Ras
1 quart evaporated milk
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
1 tablespoon blanched almond pieces
Few strands of saffron
Method for Ras
- In a pot boil the evaporated milk for about 15 min on low flame. Keep stirring.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, almonds, pistachio, saffron and stir. Allow it to cool
- Add the baked ricotta cheese pieces. Refrigerate and serve
You can use condensed milk too for the Ras, just dilute it with regular milk. Add sugar only if needed. Alternatively whole milk can also be used and reduced to required consistency, but it takes longer time. Half and half also can be used for the Ras.
© Vinaya Pai 2018